Natural Gas Reliability
26,000 miles of gas mains and service lines. 2,900 square miles. Six counties. And almost 800,000 Puget Sound Energy customers. These important numbers are all part of our natural gas system. Maintaining your safety, while delivering a consistent and affordable supply of natural gas is our highest priority. That's why we regularly inspect and test our natural gas system, making corrections before power-quality problems arise.
Block by block, house by house, foot by foot
While state and federal maintenance requirements for natural-gas equipment are steadily increasing, PSE routinely goes beyond the required standards. PSE technicians and other field employees monitor the gas system daily for anything out of the ordinary. Plus, our consistent maintenance and upgrades to the piping systems help maintain its reliability.
Delivering safety and reliability
- Sophisticated electronic gas-detection equipment is used to inspect every neighborhood's system.
- Transmission pipelines are surveyed for leaks every six months.
- Gas mains in service areas with business and high-occupancy structures are examined for leaks annually.
- About 60 percent of our natural gas system lines are corrosion-resistant plastic piping.
- Cathodic protection is applied on steel pipelines to inhibit corrosion.