Think safe, be safe
- Know how to detect a natural gas leak. If you smell gas, leave the area immediately. Don't do anything that may cause a spark.
- Check your furnace filters monthly, change or clean as needed to keep your heating or cooling appliances operating safely and efficiently.
- Have your furnace inspected yearly for proper operation according to the manufacturer's recommendations.
- If your pilot light goes out and you are unsure about relighting it, call Puget Sound Energy at 1-888-225-5773.
- Please keep the natural gas meter clear of debris, landscaping bark, shrubs or other vegetation, snow or overhead icicles. If the meter becomes damaged or covered, call PSE at
- Never keep flammable liquid or any combustible material near your furnace or water heater, vent pipe or by anything that might ignite. Vapors from paint thinner, gasoline, cleaning solvents, etc. can catch fire or ignite if exposed to a flame or spark.
- Maintain the natural gas pipes you own. Periodically inspect your gas lines between the meter and your appliances, pools, hot tubs and out buildings for wear and corrosion. Make any necessary repairs immediately.
- If you are planning any digging, call 811 first to make sure you don't hit any underground utilities.
- Consider installing earthquake valves on your house piping that will automatically shut off gas in the event of an earthquake.
- If your gas is shut off for any reason, do not attempt to turn it back on by yourself. Call PSE at
- Energy System Restoration Plan for 2012-2013
- Natural Gas Safety Tips and Quiz
- To obtain a copy of the material safety data sheet for natural gas, please contact PSE’s customer safety communications manager at 425-456-2727.