Natural gas leaks
If you suspect that your home or business has a natural gas leak, it's important to act quickly. Follow these tips to prevent harm to yourself or others.
If you suspect that you have a natural gas leak, leave the area immediately and call PSE (at 1-888-225-5773) or 911.
How to know
In its natural state, natural gas is odorless, tasteless and non-toxic—but because it's also flammable, PSE adds a distinctive sulfur or "rotten egg" smell to the gas that's delivered to your home or business. If you're unfamiliar with this odor, test the "scratch and sniff" spot inside of our gas safety brochure.
Look and listen
You may also see or hear signs of a gas leak, including:
- Bubbles rising in a puddle or other pool of liquid
- Dust or dirt blowing from a hole in the ground
- Dead or dying vegetation in unexpected locations
- Hissing (small perforation) or roaring (large break)
Natural gas versus carbon monoxide
Both natural gas and carbon monoxide (CO) are naturally odorless and potentially harmful. But unlike natural gas, CO has no added scent to help you detect exposure.
To learn more about CO, visit our Carbon Monoxide Safety section.
What to do
If you detect or even suspect that you have a natural gas leak:
- Leave the area immediately. If you're indoors, evacuate the building.
- Call PSE at 1-888-225-5773 or 911, but don't use your landline phone, which may cause a spark.
- Don't do anything else that might create a spark, including flipping any switches.
PSE will immediately dispatch a technician to check that your area is safe, at no charge.