In Your Community » Kitsap » Construction Projects »
Puget Sound Energy electric distribution project
Bainbridge Island distribution reliability projects
Fall 2014 project updates
- The NE Baker Hill Road project is currently underway and is expected to be completed as early as the end of 2014.
- Work on Fletcher Bay Rd NE is expected to take place in 2014.
- The work on each project is planned to be completed within 6 months of starting, depending on weather.
The existing overhead electric distribution system serving neighborhoods on Bainbridge Island is prone to numerous tree-related power outages. As part of Puget Sound Energy’s work to improve the reliability of the energy we supply to Bainbridge Island we will be conducting a series of distribution reliability projects across the Island.
In some areas PSE will convert the existing overhead distribution line to an underground distribution line, decreasing the likelihood of tree-related power outages for our customers. Other area projects may include replacing portions of the distribution power lines that currently serve the area with tree wire. By installing tree wire in other locations, we have helped reduce power outages related to falling tree branches by 70 percent. Once the work is completed it will improve the reliability of the energy we supply to Kitsap County.
Below is an overview of completed and future distribution reliability projects:
Tree wire distribution line projects
- New Sweden Ave- Completed 2013
- Eagle Harbor Drive east of McDonald Ave NE - Completed 2013
- Fletcher Bay Rd - 2014
- Baker Hill Rd - 2014
- Eagle Harbor Dr NE and Bucklin Hill Rd NE - Completed 2013
- Eagle Harbor Dr north of McDonald Ave NE - Completed 2013
- Eagle Harbor Dr and Wyatt Way NW - 2013/2014
What is a distribution line?
Distribution lines are critical links in the electrical system moving power from electrical substations through distribution transformers directly to homes or businesses. Unlike transmission lines, distribution lines typically carry less than 55 kV; PSE's distribution lines are typically 12.5 kV. Distribution lines can be installed both above and below ground.
What is tree wire?
Tree wire is a specially coated overhead wire, which prevents an electric short in the line (and subsequent outage) in the event a tree limb falls into a line. Tree wire is very useful at preventing outages in areas with many trees. Although it does not prevent outages caused by an entire tree falling into a line (if the tree is heavy enough to cause poles and wires to break,) it can significantly lower the frequency of power outages in your community.