Savings & Energy Center » For Businesses » Commercial Rebates and Grants »
Variable Speed Drives Rebate
Variable speed drives (VSDs) save money and energy by allowing your fans and pumps to operate at lower speeds when they're serving loads less than their full capacity. Energy savings of 30 - 50 percent are often possible in HVAC fan and pump applications when single speed motors are equipped with VSDs.
Install VSDs in your HVAC system and Puget Sound Energy will give you a rebate of $100 per horsepower for VSDs used in HVAC fan applications and closed-loop pump applications.
To receive the PSE VSD rebate, applicants must purchase electricity from PSE at the site where VSDs are installed. The replacement of an existing VSD is not eligible for the rebate. Please note that pre-approval of your application is required.
VSDs for use in HVAC fan or closed-loop pump applications, with a variable load, where not required by code.
How to participate
Step 1. Obtain PSE pre-authorization
- Complete the application form, including your PSE account number and signature
- Make a copy for your records
- Mail or fax the completed and signed application to PSE
- PSE will process your application as soon as possible, usually within 10 days
- Authorizations are noted at the bottom of the application on the copy returned to you
Step 2. Complete the installation within 60 days of authorization
Step 3. Submit your application for payment
- Sign material receipts or contractor invoices to indicate your approval and acceptance of the installation, or material purchases if your in-house project was not billed for labor. Please circle rebate-eligible items, item quantities and note which measure code from the PSE application applies
- Return the PSE-authorized copy of your application to PSE, copies of signed and dated invoices/receipts
- Funding availability is subject to annual program budgets. However, payment is guaranteed for pre-authorized projects
PSE reserves the right to inspect installations for compliance prior to payment.