How we keep the gas system safe
PSE inspects the gas line serving a customer.
Safety is our top priority when it comes to designing, constructing, operating and maintaining our natural gas system. We monitor the system every day of the year, 24 hours a day.
Gas system inspections
We conduct frequent patrols, surveys, and inspections of every foot of our gas mains and services – all the way up to your gas meter – with sensitive instruments. These inspections meet or exceed all regulatory requirements.
Neighborhood gas system inspections are conducted by PSE employees and by Surveys & Analysis, Inc., an authorized PSE contractor and an industry leader with over eighty years of experience in gas system inspection.
We ensure our PSE employees or contractors are easy to identify by:
- PSE identification badges
- Clothing clearly labeled with the PSE Logo
- Business cards with contact information
- Vehicles marked with a PSE logo or dual PSE logo and contractor logo
If you wish to verify the identity of the technician or have questions regarding the process, please call (206) 716-2748.
PSE engineers and construction crews adhere to strict federal and state safety requirements governing pipeline design, materials and construction.
- High pressure pipelines are designed so they can withstand five times the pressure at which they are operated.
- Metallic pipe is protected against corrosion and is welded using only qualified pipeline welders. Radiography is used to inspect each weld for hidden defects.
- Before putting a new pipeline in service, the pipe is pressure tested to verify the strength of the pipe, check for leaks and establish the pipe’s safe operating pressure.
- All of PSE’s design specifications and standards have been submitted to and are on file with the Washington Utilities and Transportation Commission.
For more information, view this factsheet.
Training and public education
We regularly train employees, contractors and emergency first responders so they are prepared to respond in the unlikely event of a natural gas emergency, and we educate customers and the general public about the importance of safety around natural gas.