Whoa! This Stinks!
Bad Smell Delivered With PSE Bills to Highlight Natural Gas Safety
BELLEVUE, Wash. (9/4/2013) – It’s a trip to the mailbox that could have heads turning. Billing statements from Puget Sound Energy arriving at more than 1.5 million homes and businesses now through October include a scratch and sniff pamphlet to remind customers of the smell that’s used to help identify natural gas leaks.
A scratch on the insert releases a distinctive, sulfur-like aroma similar to rotten eggs. To help detect gas leaks more easily, PSE and other natural gas utilities add an odorant called mercaptan to the natural gas, which is naturally odorless and colorless. Everyone in a family needs to recognize the odor, and know what to do if they smell it.
- If a natural gas odor is detected inside or outside a house or building, or if a leak is suspected, everyone should get out immediately.
- Do not switch any lights or appliances on or off.
- Do not use cell or landline phones.
- Do not use anything that might create a spark or has a flame, such a lighting a match or a cigarette.
- When far away from the area, call 911, or PSE’s 24-hour emergency hotline at 1-888-225-5773. PSE’s natural gas technicians will respond immediately from our service centers at no charge to check out a problem.
- A hissing sound, blowing dirt or bubbles in a puddle may also indicate a possible natural gas leak.
In addition to delivering a “rotten egg smell,” the pamphlet also reminds customers to call 811 to have underground utility lines located before having any work done to prevent injuries and damage.
At Puget Sound Energy, safety is always priority number one. We serve more than 760,000 natural gas customers in King, Pierce, Snohomish, Thurston, Lewis, and Kittitas counties.
About Puget Sound Energy
Puget Sound Energy is Washington state’s oldest local energy company. We serve 1.1 million electric customers and more than 760,000 natural gas customers in 10 counties. For more information, visit www.PSE.com, or follow PSE on Facebook and Twitter.
Ray Lane, 1-888-831-7250